Thursday, August 16, 2012

Camping: Pretend Play

We just returned from a 3-night camping trip in State Forest State Park.  I wanted to note some of Daniel's pretend play:

"Is there anything else, Mommy?" aka Making a Combo
This game started as a version of "Ding-dong. Can I come in to <fast food restaurant>?"  In the game, Daniel asks me to place an order (often a "combo" meal of some kind).  He leaves to make the meal, returns, and asks if there's anything else I need.  If I request something he might like (cookie, ice cream, french fries), he often adds one for himself to the order.  The playhouse at the KOA playground served as Daniel's restaurant.  He took my order (I would sit on a nearby slide) then retreated to the playhouse.  He would make the food by banging on the plastic slide from inside the house.

In the Car
When I hold Daniel or wrap my arms around him while he's standing in front of him, he sometimes tells me he wants to get out of the car.  So, I'll open my arms, he steps away, and "closes" the door by folding my arms in my lap.  Then, he gets back in by tugging my arms open and stepping into them.  He likes me to rock/bounce/sing while we're "driving".  Then, he'll get out and repeat. 

Toward the end of our camping trip, Daniel learned the word 'occupied' which I used in context of a bathroom being occupied and preventing us from using it.  He incorporated it into the car game by announcing that we were at Daniel's house, getting out of the car, then say "This isn't Daniel's house! This is Occupied!" Sometimes he pronounced 'occupied' like "Occupiers".  Then he would get back in the car and try again to drive to Daniel's house.

Making Ice Cream
Daniel decided that the vestibule at the front of the tent was an ideal place to make ice cream.  He would ask if I wanted some ice cream and walk to the corner.  Then he would turn around and hand me my ice cream.  If I asked what flavor it was, he would answer "chocolate and buh-nilla".

Hammering
Daniel loves tools, especially hammers.  While we were putting up and taking down the tent, he loved using the big hammer to knock on the wooden edge surrounding the tent pad.  He would also use a "little hammer" or "drinking straw" (tent stake) to hammer the tent, tent poles, other hammers.

No comments:

Post a Comment