Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sweets for the Sweet

Daniel likes sweets. Now that he can ask using words, he requests sweets early and often.  When I ask him if he'd like toast for breakfast, the exchange goes something like:
   Daniel: Cookie!
   Mommy: No cookies for breakfast.  How 'bout toast?
   Daniel: Ice cream!
   Mommy: I don't think that's a good idea.  What do you think about toast?
   Daniel: Cake!
   Mommy: We don't have cake.  I'm making you toast.
   Daniel: Candy!
   Mommy: Mmmm...toast.

When he wants to pull out the big guns:
   Mommy: Are you hungry? What should we get?
   Daniel: Cookie!
   Mommy: You haven't had lunch and didn't eat much breakfast.  I could make you a sandwich.
   Daniel: Cookie!
   Mommy: I would like you to eat something more substantial.
   Daniel: Cookie! ...please.

At this point, Mommy usually caves because he's used 'please' in the correct context and probably won't eat anything else anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment