Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Giant (Baby) Steps

Daniel walks! His Grandpa "Pappy" Craig visited in the morning, bearing gifts from Ecuador, and remarked that Daniel seemed like he was going to walk (independently) at any moment. I scoffed, "well, people have been saying that for about two months now, but he still isn't doing it."

Right after Pappy left, Daniel grabbed Christy's greeting card holder (it looks kinda like peacock feathers sculpted in metal wire). I was "walking" him with the pinkie on my hand, and I thought, "since he's engrossed in the sculpture, let's see if he'll notice if I just slip my pinkie away."

He didn't notice. He kept on walking, by himself, independently (with no assistance), about a dozen steps from the dining room into the kitchen, before he figured out what was going on.

I didn't think anybody would believe me that he had gone this far, but we repeated the feat about five times. I was ecstatic, praising his fine work. I was laughing, and it took me a minute to realize that I was crying at the same time.

He walked later in the day for his Grandma Denise, and he even showed off a few steps for his Mom when she got home from the gym later that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment